Friday, July 21, 2017

From the Journals of Henry David Thoreau

Aspiration


Jan. 24, 1856  A Journal is a record of experiences and growth, not a preserve of things well done or said. I am occasionally reminded of a statement which I have made in conversation and immediately forgotten, which would read much better than what I put in my journal. It is a ripe, dry fruit of long-past experience which falls from me easily, without giving pain or pleasure. The charm of the journal must consist in a certain greenness, though freshness, and not in maturity. Here I cannot afford to be remembering what I said or did, my scurf cast off, but what I am and aspire to become."


The Journal: 1837-1861, Henry David Thoreau. New York Review Books, 2009. p. 362

6 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Though I think that a journal could be many things, I like Thoreau's version of what one can be. I also love the way that he wrote.

Mudpuddle said...

i bought the dover limited edition of his Journals years ago and read about half of them: quite interesting and not exactly what you'd expect all the time...

Fred said...

James,

Just what I need--another name from the past to rediscover. It's been too long. Thanks for reminding me.

James said...

Mudpuddle,
Thoreau has a distinctive voice that makes reading him special. Sometimes he included items from his journal in his longer essays.

James said...

Fred,
Thanks for your observation. Thoreau is always worth reading and rereading.

James said...

Brian,
I really enjoy his writing style also. The inspiration is palpable.