Monday, September 23, 2024

Small Bookstore in Troubled Times

The Sentence
The Sentence 






“Small bookstores have the romance of doomed intimate spaces about to be erased by unfettered capitalism.”   ― Louise Erdrich, The Sentence






The first few chapters of this book had me intrigued, especially Tookie's character and her bookstore. The plot seemed to meander as it went along and turned into a commentary on a number of current affairs. Although I recognize the significance of these events and the issues they raise, the story's plot seemed to veer off course. I could not help but wonder why it was all happening, even though it might have been my fault as a reader.

The story had a lot of strong themes of love and death, which made it quite an emotional ride for me. Tookie and her husband Pollux have a pure love that makes me smile warmly at times, but then Tookie has another unsettling encounter with the ghost that haunts her, and that chills me. I was able to enjoy the story despite its apparent lack of direction because of the author's superb writing style.

A big plus was the "Totally Biased List of Tookie's Favorite Books" at the end of the novel!


No comments: