Friday, June 30, 2023

The Act of Saying I

Let Me Tell You What I Mean
Let Me Tell You What I Mean 

“In many ways, writing is the act of saying I, of imposing oneself upon other people, of saying listen to me, see it my way, change your mind. It’s an aggressive, even a hostile act. You can disguise its aggressiveness all you want with veils of subordinate clauses and qualifiers and tentative subjunctives, with ellipses and evasions—with the whole manner of intimating rather than claiming, of alluding rather than stating—but there’s no getting around the fact that setting words on paper is the tactic of a secret bully, an invasion, an imposition of the writer’s sensibility on the reader’s most private space.”   ― Joan Didion, Let Me Tell You What I Mean


I have long admired the prose style of Joan Didion and these twelve early pieces never before collected demonstrate that style. This selection of essays offers an illuminating glimpse into the mind and process of Joan Didion.

The varied essays in this collection, which are mainly taken from the early years of her astounding five-decade career, feature Didion writing about a Gamblers Anonymous meeting, a trip to San Simeon, and a reunion of WWII veterans in Las Vegas, as well as about subjects like Nancy Reagan, Robert Mapplethorpe, and Martha Stewart.

Didion has written extensively about the following topics: the press, politics, California robber barons, women, the writing process, and her own self-doubt. I think you will find that each essay is typical Didion: razor-sharp, astonishingly perceptive, and very readable.



6 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, Joan Didion is someone I need to read more of and I particularly liked her essay "On Keeping A Notebook". I will be reading more of what she's written. Regarding other essayists I also like Vivian Gornick and Philip Lopate and Gornick is editing the Best American Essay series for 2023. It will be published in October and I can't wait to see her choices.

Harvee said...

I admire her writing and have read several of her short essays.

Cheers, Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com

James said...

@Kathy's Corner

Thanks for your comment. I've been a fan of Joan Didion ever since I read The White Album. She is one of the best writers I've encountered. I discovered Vivian Gornick last year when I read her book, Notes of A Chronic Re-Reader. She instantly became a favorite and I will seek out her essays.

James said...

@Harvee

Thanks for your comment. I also admire her writing.

thecuecard said...

Oh thanks for the review. I have read most of Didion's early books and have long been a fan. I think I'd love this one and her thoughts on the craft of writing. Wasn't she a disciple of Hemingway's writing?

James said...

@thecue card,
Apparently, in an interview published in "The Paris Review", Didion claimed to be influenced by Hemingway.