Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Spoken Words

Poetry Speaks: Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath
Poetry Speaks: Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath 





Those Winter Sundays

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I’d wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he’d call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love’s austere and lonely offices?


This is a wonderful collection of poetry with the added attraction of spoken verse. Each poet reads their own poetry as recorded on three CDs. The poets included range from the early nineteenth century with Tennyson, Browning, and Whitman to the late twentieth with Ginsberg, Sexton, and Plath. 

Some of my favorite poems are included from poets like Wallace Stevens, W. H. Auden, and Dylan Thomas. The introductions and commentary by some of our finest poets complement the verses making them all the more valuable and perhaps just a bit more understandable. The above poem, by Robert Hayden, is just one example of the great poetry included in this volume.


2 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

This seems to be a great way to present poetry. The vast majority of poetry that I have encountered was just read by me. Listening to it seems better. Even better if the poet reads their own work.

James said...

Brian,
The collection includes some of the poets' best. It is a nice introduction for those posts with which the reader may not be familiar.