Wednesday, January 22, 2020

A Robot in Your Future?

The Coming of the Robots 
editied by Sam Moskowitz


The Coming of the Robots





"Helen's technique may have lacked polish, but it had enthusiasm, as he found when he tried to stop her from kissing him. She learned fast and furiously---also, Helen was powered by an atomotor." - Lester Del Rey, "Helen O'Loy"









Sam Moskowitz has gathered an anthology of robot stories with the classics "I, Robot" by Eando Binder  and "Misfit" by Michael Fischer, among others. My favorite was "Helen O'Loy" by Lester Del Rey -- a story of a female robot who falls in love with her owner.

All of the stories provide entertainment that you wish would not end. Overall a great introduction to some of the great science fiction authors of the early days that will leave you searching for their other books.

4 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Sounds great I loved robot stories when I was young and I am sure that I would enjoy them now. I may actually revisit some of Isaac Asimov’s robot stories soon.

On a related note, my local supermarket now has a robot roaming the isles looking for spills. The future is almost here.

James said...

Brian,
Thanks for your comment. Asimov certainly put robots on the mat. Your experience in the Supermarket reminds me of my sister's Roomba that vacuums her living room while she is out of the house.

CyberKitten said...

I have a whole bunch of Robot books coming up later in the year - including this one!!

James said...

Cyberkitten,
I will look forward to your commentary on Robot books and may be tempted to read some of them.