Saturday, December 29, 2018

I Did Not Die

Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep 


Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep


This poem was reportedly inspired by the story of a young Jewish girl, Margaret Schwarzkopf, who had been staying with the Frye household and had been unable to visit her dying mother in Germany because of anti-Semitic unrest.







Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

3 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Thanks for posting this. I have always liked this particular poem a lot. I never knew the story behind it. I would like to devote a little time to trying out more of Frye’s poetry.

James said...

Brian,
This is a very moving poem with some of the most beautiful images I've encountered.

Ruth @ with freedom and books said...

This is beautiful, and even more so b/c of the story behind it. I've only lately been opening up to poetry. There is much I have to look forward to.