Saturday, March 28, 2015

Modern Fables

Fables for Our Time and Famous Poems IllustratedFables for Our Time 
and Famous Poems Illustrated 
by James Thurber


"Moral: It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." 
from "The Scotty Who Knew Too Much"  - James Thurber



I was originally introduced to the writing of James Thurber when I found The Thurber Carnival collection in our library at home. This was when I was old enough to read but long enough ago that I do not remember the exact date. At a later point in my education I read some of the more famous fables in High School English class.


This collection brings together the fables and some of the poems for which Thurber provided illustrations. The fables include both the better-known ones like "The Unicorn in the Garden" and "The Little Girl and the Wolf", and some less well known tales that include "The Mouse Who Went to the Country", "The Lion Who Wanted to Zoom", and "The Moth and the Star". Each fable has a moral that is often some practical bit of wisdom.


The poems are such that you might want to memorize like Longfellow's "Excelsior" and "Oh When I was . . ." by A. E. Housman from his collection "A Shropshire Lad". This small gem of a book is a delight to read and reread from time to time to lighten your day.


View all my reviews

3 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I have never read Thurber but I like tales of this sort.

I like the fact that this also includes poetry.

James said...

Brian,

I hope you try some Thurber. The Thurber Carnival is a classic collection of his fables, essays, and drawings. He is one of America's best humorists.

@parridhlantern said...

The same as Brian, knew of the name but hadn't read of anything