Thursday, September 27, 2012

Commonplace Entry



from Repetition by Peter Handke

"That day I stayed on the plateau until the after-image of the sun left my retina.  An axle seemed to be turning inside me, more and more slowly, bringing the things behind me into my field of vision.  Beyond the northern mountains I saw a fiery cloud, which I situated exactly over the house of my parents.  Heart, diamond, pade, and club shapes had been cut out of the west wall of the barn to let air in, and my father's centuries-old desolation came blowing out of the black holes."

- "The Savanna of Freedom and the Ninth Country", p 165

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my. That is breathtaking. I've never heard of this author, but thanks for putting him up here.

James said...

Thanks for your comment. Handke is a sometimes controversial avant-garde author much of whose writing I have yet to explore.