Saturday, September 27, 2008

Running and Being



Starry, Starry Sky




This is not about Vincent Van Gogh or Impressionist painting; nor is it about Don McLean or Impressionist music; nor is it about astronomy or astrology. Taking my cue from Charles Dickens, whose novel Our Mutual Friend demonstrated the technique of defining something by what it is not, I have begun this commentary using just that approach.

For my day began, as it often does on the weekends, with an early morning run under the starry skies with the moon choosing to absent herself, no doubt to return as she is wont to do as she goes about her regular monthly journey.
My journey over the last few years, since about this time in 2001 has included running as part of my regular exercise regimen. I enjoy running and enjoy reading about the joys of running. The best of the writers about running that I have encountered is one Dr. George Sheehan, whose book Running And Being, is as much about philosophy and a way of life as it is about running - whatever else it is inspirational. This week I have encountered another book that also inspires and may join Sheehan's in my bibliography of support. That book is Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley & Henry S. Lodge, M.D. I will return to this work in the future if its promise bears fruit in my life, but I already have found in the first few sections that it is a very good book to read and consider. For this opportunity I once again find that I have my former colleague and current running friend, Kyle Tschaen, to thank both for recommending this book and continuing to be an inspiration for me in his dedication to running and life.


Running and Being by Dr. George Sheehan. Simon & Schuster, New York. 1978.
Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley & Henry S. Lodge, M.D. Workman Publishing, New York. 2007.

No comments: