Saturday, September 15, 2007


Atlas Shrugged

The importance of the ideas in this novel, published fifty years ago, cannot be overstated. When I first read the works of Ayn Rand (this was my second, having read The Fountainhead first) I found a thinker who had a vision of the individual and the world that inspired me. Through that inspiration I was encouraged to continue to think and read and form a philosophy for my own life. I owe much of that philosophy to this book and the ideas within it. It contains the core of Ayn Rand's philosophy of objectivism. While I do not consider myself an 'objectivist', I share many of the tenets that philosophy espouses in my personal approach to life. More importantly I still consider Ayn Rand one of the great thinkers and Atlas Shrugged one of the great works of literature and one of my personal favorites.

No comments: