Sunday, April 01, 2007

Bleak House

Having just begun a rereading of Bleak House I find myself comparing it to David Copperfield, which I just finished reading. I note immediately the difference in narrative style as it opens with a third person narrator; however it soon, in the third chapter, introduces a first person narrator, Miss Esther Summerson, who is almost as charming as David himself. The opening sets the stage wonderfully with contrast of the London Fog and the Chancery of the first chapter with the world of Fashion in the second. Throughout the opening chapters Dickens continues to introduce new characters to populate this increasingly complex novel. With the discovery of a dead body (a law-writer) by Mr. Tulkinghorn we have a mystery to add to the growing suspense.

2 comments:

Azalea said...

It is a beautiful book: quintessential Dickens. "The Pickwick Papers", however, remains my favorite! :)

James said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I enjoy all of Dickens work, but find that I am partial to his later novels (beginning with David Copperfield).