Saturday, July 12, 2008


Tell No One



I have slowed in my postings, as it has been a week since my last, but life continues and yesterday I saw a film that is worth noting. I am a fan of the French cinema so I try to see French films when they open at my neighborhood cinema.

With the "critic's choice" recommendation of the Chicago Reader in my pocket I went to see Tell No One (Ne le dis a personne) directed and written (from a book by Harlan Coben) by Guillame Canet. It was a suspenseful and well-acted film that managed to start with an impossible situation, an e-mail message from someone supposedly dead for eight years, and continue to build suspense until the final piece falls into place very close to the end of the film. The story focuses a pediatrician, Alexandre Beck, who misses his beloved wife Margot who was brutally murdered eight years ago when he was the prime suspect. When two bodies are found near where the corpse of Margot was dumped, the police reopen the case and Alex becomes suspect again. The mystery increases when Alex receives an e-mail showing Margot older and alive. When a photographer is killed and Alex is framed he is on the run for much of the second half of the film - trying to elude the police and find out why his wife is alive and has been missing for eight years. Canet respected the author's original work (which I must consider reading) and the cast is absolutely excellent ! François Cluzet (with a resemblance with Dustin Hoffman) is a perfect Dr Beck. Kristin Scott-Thomas, André Dussolier (can be a naughty character too), Jean Rochefort and the others are great as well. I highly recommend this as one of the best films, French or otherwise, that you will see this year. Tell everyone!

No comments: