Friday, February 23, 2007

Handel

Today is the anniversary of George Frideric Handel's birth. Another of my favorites, I have admired his music for many years and even wrote an essay, Der English Musik Maker, about him as a senior in high school. His music, from opera to oratorio to organ, is a delight to hear and play, as I also did in high school as a young oboist, learning his oboe sonatas. I still play his music for piano with my favorite, his famous variations known as The Harmonious Blacksmith. We are fortunate to be able to enjoy his music in concert halls and homes enriching our lives.

7 comments:

Azalea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Azalea said...

James, I wrote a piece on my blog today that I titled "The Frugal Chariot". I searched for it on Google to see if it would pop up... (my blog is very new). It didn't. However, that lead me to your blog, which I think is delightful. You write beautifully and feeling what I feel after reading what you have written makes me feel that blogging is worthwhile after all... I have started to write several blogs... but given up easily at the thought that no one would ever appreciate what I write. If ever anyone feels for my blog what I feel reading yours, it would be an effort well spent.

James said...

Thanks for the compliment. Your kind thoughts provide encouragement for a fellow reader and sojourner, riding "the frugal chariot"

Azalea said...

Do you play the piano? I just keep getting more and more impressed. You write and play!

James said...

However, I mainly read.

Azalea said...

I do too. D'you know, I think you are one of the very few people I have met who likes poetry (maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places). Who do you read the most?

James said...

I'm sure there are a lot of poetry lovers out there of whom I consider myself one. I'm not sure that I read any one author the most, but rather I read many authors, concentrating on one or a few at any given time.
A current favorite is Auden with the centenary of his birth. So I guess he is the poet I am currently reading the most. I recently acquired the new edition of his collected poems and will be dipping into it over the coming months.