Thursday, February 22, 2007

David Copperfield

I am beginning to reread David Copperfield and I am once again impressed with Dicken's uncanny ability to bring such fully human characters to life on the page. As I continue on my journey reading this book I will make further comments upon David's journey, one of the great bildungromans of all literature. As of this date he has encountered evil personified in the countenances of Mr. Murdstone and his sister (and their dog). Even their names sound horrible and one wonders what hold Murdstone has over David's dear mother. Fortunately, as is the case with Dickens, he has already provided a counterbalance in the form of the nurse Pegotty and her warm and wonderful family of eccentrics, living in a ship by the side of the sea. As with most Dickens, it is hard to put this book down.

No comments: