Thursday, August 31, 2023

Magic When Needed

Uprooted
Uprooted 



“truth didn’t mean anything without someone to share it with; you could shout truth into the air forever, and spend your life doing it, if someone didn’t come and listen.”   ― Naomi Novik, Uprooted




The dismal, brooding descriptions and magical atmosphere sometimes appealed to me. The storyline, the valley, the tainted forest, the ominous tower, the names of the people and places... You may like this read if you're searching for an atmospheric book that's ideal for fall, with a little romance and a lot of magic to spice it all up.

I can admit, though, that I did not find this to be a particularly compelling read in which I was eager to find out what would happen next. I didn't like this book, even if it was a relatively atmospheric read. Even in the middle of a "action" sequence, I could always put it down. Which may or may not be a good thing. Uprooted can be an excellent option to pass the time if you know you'll be busy at work or your child will interrupt your reading a thousand times a day. Like a haven of warm tranquility in the middle of a dreary day.

The author has a highly illogical approach to using magic. The lack of regulations or restrictions on magic in this universe, as well as the fact that everything was extremely individualized, further irritated me. It seemed a little too haphazard, and I dislike it when magic that seems overly convenient is used to advance the plot.

Regarding the romance, I wouldn't describe this book as very romantic. I still got a strong sensation that they could be a terrific couple, despite the fact that I wished there were a few more embers between them. I had the impression that they were connected in some way the entire time. And I much prefer that profound (albeit not fully explored) connection than platitudes and extravagant declarations of love. The bottom line is that I was disappointed and would not recommend this book.



2 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, I am not someone who has read much fantasy and science fiction in my life. But many years ago I did read and loved Wicked by Gregory Maguire and that book came to mind as I read your review of Uprooted. But I sense from your review that Uprooted is not in the same league. I do like atmospheric books but that's a hard thing to pull off and if you have not read Wicked it's worth checking out.

James said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your comment. I'll check out Wicked, as I do read fantasy from time to time. My main difficulty is caused by the temptation for some authors of fantasy to use magic to solve plot problems without sufficient basis for that use.