Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday

 


The selection criterion this week is to pick a genre and list your top ten selections based on that genre.

I have chosen the Historical Fiction genre. Since I've read more than a hundred novels in this genre from a variety of authors, I have listed ten of my favorites in no particular order. They all represent historical fiction by writers that I love to read.

Top Ten Tuesday is sponsored  by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl



Cloudsplitter: A Novel by Russell Banks



Regeneration Trilogy by Pat Barker



Wolf Hall: A Novel  by Hilary Mantel



The Siege of Krishnapur

by J.G. Farrell



 Night Soldiers: A Novel by Alan Furst



 I, Claudius from the autobiography of Tiberius Claudius 

by Robert Graves



Memoirs of Hadrian

by Marguerite Yourcenar



 The Covenant by James A. Michener



 An Instance of the Fingerpost

by Iain Pears



 The Leopard  by Giuseppe di Lampedusa

8 comments:

Lydia said...

Historical fiction has been the most popular topic by far this week!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

Stephen said...

I tried Wolf Hall but could not bear the writing. The Leopard was interesting reading.

Michael Hickerson said...

Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

I keep hearing positive buzz on Wolf Hall and want to read it at some point.

James said...

@Lydia, Thank you.

@Stephen, The Leopard is one of my favorite books and certainly near the top of my historical novel reads.

@Michael, Thank you.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, you have some really fine historical novels listed and I have read a bit of James Michener and really enjoyed his writing and I love that he does big historical books where he immerses himself n the subject and so I will look into The Covenant. Also Russell Banks and Pat Barker are writers I have heard alot of good things about.

In terms of historical fiction I very much enjoyed Saints by Orson Scott Card set in thec 19th century it begins in the North of England where a poor family is trying to get by and then they learn about Mormonism and move to Utah to live. A combination Victorian novel and Western and it's excellent.

Susan said...

I love historical fiction, too, although your tastes look a lot more literary than mine. Ha ha. I haven't read any of these authors/books.

Happy TTT!

James said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for your Scott Card recommendation; I've only read some of his speculative fiction. Barker, Mantel, and Farrell all were Booker Prize winners and deservedly so; I would recommend Barker especially, as she captures issues surrounding British involvement in World War I in a very personal way. The Covenant is the only Michener I've read. The closest I ever got to any of his other works was Rodgers and Hammerstein's "South Pacific."

James said...

Hi Susan,
Thanks for your comment. Some of the books are not that heavyweight. Cloudsplitter is a good example, exciting historical fiction about the life of John Brown.