Sunday, January 23, 2011




A Delightful Dusting



“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.”  -  John Ruskin


I awoke early this morning and looked out the window to the spectacle of what I lightheartedly describe as a delightful dusting of snow.  The flakes looked large, but they were lightweight indeed as the temperature was struggling to stay in the low double digits.  A bit later when confronting the front steps and sidewalk I found perhaps two inches of the stuff strewn across the walk and parkway that separates our six-flat apartment building from the thoroughfare - it is more than a mere street.  After brushing the flakes from our front steps, I took up my shovel and proceeded to quickly dispatch the fluff that was close to two inches thick.  The snow glistened in the glare of the streetlights and looked like the sort of stuff you might request to complete a perfect winter morning.  Delightful as this dusting was I still hoped that the snow would abate after dawn so that there would be no more shoveling for me this Sunday.

No comments: