Saturday, October 09, 2010

The Power of Delight: A Lifetime in Literature: Essays 1962-2002The Power of Delight: A Lifetime in Literature: Essays 1962-2002 


by John Bayley




This is a book in which it is pleasant to dip into from time to time. To read the essays either as a spur to further reading or to provide background for one's current reading makes this book valuable. It is even more valuable for both the erudition of the author and the breadth of literary authors and topics covered within the almost seven hundred pages included in the hefty tome. I enjoyed both the essays about authors with whom I was familiar and those that introduced me to authors I have not yet read. The wealth of material is only surpassed by the delightful prose. It is fun to read the essays of John Bayley.




The Power of delight by John Bayley. W. W. Norton & Co., New York. 2005






View all my reviews

No comments: