Monday, July 31, 2023

Things Happen in England and Italy

Where Angels Fear to Tread (Vintage Classics)
Where Angels Fear to Tread 


"Miss Abbott, don’t worry over me. Some people are born not to do things. I’m one of them … I never expect anything to happen now, and so I am never disappointed … I seem fated to pass through the world without colliding with it or moving it’ […]
She said solemnly, ‘I wish something would happen to you, my dear friend; I wish something would happen to you."   - E. M. Forster



E. M. Forster's first novel tackles issues of national identity and the potential for interpersonal connection despite societal inequalities that would preoccupy Forster throughout his career. The action is split between England and Italy. Where Angels Fear to Tread culminates in a "song of madness and death" similar to the sad opera Lucia di Lammermoor, which turns raucously amusing in one of the novel's most memorable sequences, yet at times veers into farce.

The novel is gruesome, accomplished, and darkly humorous. The best intentions fail and well-known ideas of virtue and vice fall to pieces in it. This kind of tragedy is distinctively Jamesian, and Philip's tale unmistakably invokes The Ambassadors' storyline. Similar to Strether in James' novel, Philip goes to the continent in order to save a fellow countryman from disgrace (first Lilia, then her son), only to fall in love with the place, find himself in the unlikely position of defending it, and have additional "ambassadors" (Harriet and Caroline Abbott) sent in order to save his mission. John Marcher, the main character of Henry James' "The Beast in the Jungle," and, in a way, the model for Strether, have similarities with Philip in his disengagement from life and inability to make snap decisions. However, Philip's tragedy is more difficult to accept because of his conviction that nothing can save him, which is actually the reverse of Strether's.

The action of this novel somewhat presages aspects of Forster's third novel, A Room With A View. As first novels go, this one is one of the best with a literary touch that Forster would continue to develop in his more famous later novels.


4 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Haven't read (and don't own) any Forster presently. I hope to change that! I *loved* the movie adaptation of 'A Room With A View'.

thecuecard said...

Forster is mentioned quite a bit at the end of Sarah Winman's recent novel Still Life, which is also set in England and Italy. So I think I'd like to read Where Angels Fear to Tread. I wonder if I will find Philip frustrating with his disengagement from life. Did you?

James said...

CyberKitten,
You might also enjoy both the novel and movie adaptation of Howard's End.

James said...

thecuecard,
I was not frustrated with any of the characters, but on reflection would recommend A Room With a View over this earlier novel.