Sunday, June 06, 2021

The Pride of the Fisherman

The Old Man and the Sea

The Old Man and the Sea 



“You did not kill the fish only to keep alive and to sell for food, he thought. You killed him for pride and because you are a fisherman. You loved him when he was alive and you loved him after. If you love him, it is not a sin to kill him. Or is it more?”   ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea



"I will show him what a man can do and what a man endures." Santiago is the old man of the title, a poor Cuban fisherman who has gone eighty-four days without catching a fish. The other fishermen now call him unlucky, and his great friend, the boy Manolin, has been forbidden from fishing with him any more. On the eighty-fifth day Santiago decides to go farther out than usual, farther than the other fishermen go, in an attempt to find a great fish. On that day he hooks a huge marlin, and the struggle for dominance and survival begins.

This is more than a story of the battle to catch a great fish. When you join the old man in his boat you begin to realize his immense love for the boy, for the sea, and for the fish. It is this and his vision of lions on a beach that gives him the courage to go on and with that persistence the cheerfulness that allows him to continue day after day.

This is the book that brought Hemingway the Pulitzer Prize and ultimately the Nobel. It presents man alone against Nature in the simple style that Hemingway perfected. I first read this long ago and have since experienced other of his novels, but this remains foremost in my memory.


4 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i read a lot of H in the past and i think i enjoyed the experiences mainly because i didn't have much of it... experience, i mean... as i got older i came to resent his single-minded and narrow view of human values, especially male ones... i still think he had something to say, i just don't care much for it... all that macho stuff is rather stupid, imo...

James said...

mudpuddle,
Thanks for your observation. I agree that Hemingway probably resonates more with the young and inexperienced. I know the value of his work has declined in my estimation, but he is still among the panoply of authors that I consider great.

Stephen said...

This was the first Hemingway title I read, and the only one to date that I've REALLY liked, of his longer fiction. I find I take to his short stories better.

James said...

Stephen,
Thanks for your comment. I think this was my first Hemingway also. I agree that some of his short stories are very good.