Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Rereading Notes

Unfinished Business: Notes of a Chronic Re-Reader
Unfinished Business: 
Notes of a Chronic Re-Reader

“Responsible for every successful connection ever made between a book and a reader--no less than between people--is that deepest of all human mysteries, emotional readiness: upon which the shape of every life is vitally dependent. How morbidly circumstantial life can seem when we think of the apparent randomness with which we welcome or repel what will turn out to be--or what might have turned out to be--some of the most important relationships of our lives. How often have lifelong friends or lovers shuddered to think, 'If I had met you at any other time...' It's the same between a reader and a book that becomes an intimate you very nearly did not encounter with an open mind or a welcoming heart because you were not in the right mood; that is, in a state of readiness.”  ― Vivian Gornick



A lovely read for those of us who reread books with a passion. I have books that I have read and reread for my whole reading life - one that spans more than six decades. Then there are other books that I have encountered in the early years of this century and I have already reread them; for example Call Me By Your Name is one of those. Others from the whole span of my life from the pen of authors like Lewis Carroll, Somerset Maugham, Willa Cather, Dickens, Dostoevsky, Dreiser, Gide, Mann, Proust, and more are among those whose books I have reread. 

The author shares her personal experiences with books, but even though they may be personal I believe most readers will find a universality in them as well. The title of her short book belies the joy that I believe all re-readers gain from their literary habit. It may be a "chronic" passion, but is one worth pursuing and, I believe, it does not deter the continued exploration of new reading, but rather spurs you onward to more reading in a search for your next favorite great read; one that you can add to your rereading list.


"I sometimes think I was born reading. I can't remember the time when I didn't have a book in my hands, my head lost to the world around me." - Vivian Gornick


6 comments:

mudpuddle said...

interesting, the psychological difference between those readers who reread and those who don't... i read a lot and rarely reread. i think i'm driven by curiousity to see what's just around the next bookstore corner, altho i can readily understand those who go back to what they loved...

James said...

mudpuddle,
You make a great point - the varieties of reading experiences vary greatly depending on the personality or the disposition of the reader. I share your curiosity for the new and sometimes the different, but in my case it does not prevent me from rereading when I have the opportunity to return to an "old favorite".
The list of books I reread is a very small part of my total reading, although that total is large enough to provide space for returning to those books I have truly loved in the past.

CyberKitten said...

It's very rare that I re-read anything but I am finding more time for that post-retirement. I suppose before that I always thought that if I spent time reading it'd need to be something new.

I have read LoTR and His Dark Materials twice and The Dispossessed by Le Guin at least 3 times but they're definitely *rare* exceptions. I'm planning on re-reading the Foundation books and the first Dune trilogy starting this year.

James said...

CyberKitten,
Your rereading seems to be expanding. Of the books you mentioned I have only reread The Dispossessed. Ursula Le Guin is one of my favorite SF authors, however, and among her novels I've also reread The Left Hand of Darkness, which is among my all-time favorite novels of any kind.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, Vivian Gornick is one of my favorite writers. I read her memoir Fierce Attachments many years ago and it made an impression. No one reviews a book quite like Vivian either. And she has a new book of essays coming out on March 30th!

James said...

Kathy,
Thanks for the recommendation. This was my first book by Gornick, and like you, it made a positive impression on me.