Monday, November 20, 2023

Plants and People

Lab Girl
Lab Girl 





"People are like plants: they grow toward the light. I chose science because science gave me what I needed---a home as defined in the most literal sense: a safe place to be." - Hope Jahren






Are people like plants? Can you hear plants grow? These and other questions are raised and answered or at least discussed in this fascinating book by geobiologist Hope Jahren. I have enjoyed reading about science throughout my life, from biographies of Michael Faraday and George Washington Carver in my youth to works by scientists and histories of science in my adult life. 

Lab Girl changed the way I perceived trees. It forced me to consider the incredible grace and tenacity of a seed. Most notably, it introduced me to a very fascinating woman, a scientist who was so enthralled with her work that I could practically feel it in every page. This is a clever, captivating, and successful debut. With her passion for science, Hope Jahren's Lab Girl teaches us in the best way possible. Its profundity made it a book that is powerful and unique. The result was as interesting a read as any I have had in quite a while.



2 comments:

Stephen said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you'd like to learn more, I'd suggest Peter Wohlleben's book, "The Hidden Life of Trees". It's one of the best science books I've ever read.

James said...

Stephen,
Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoy good science books. Hope Jahren's book is segmented into three parts and the first two, "ROOTS AND LEAVES" AND "WOOD AND KNOTS", include information about a variety of trees.