Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday

 



The selection criterion this week is “Top Ten Favorite Character Relationships”.

I have chosen the following from my reading over my personal reading lifetime, so some of these are from books that have been favorites for many decades, while other are somewhat more recnt reads. Here are ten of my favorites in no particular order. 

Top Ten Tuesday is sponsored  by Jana over at That Artsy Reader Girl


1. Young Harvey Cheyne and the fisherman Manuel in Kipling's Captains Courageous
This book is one I have read and reread over my lifetime and one reason is the development of Harvey under the tutelage of the Portuguese fisherman Manuel in this adventure tale.

2. Frog and Mr. Toad in The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.  Here are two friends who are always there for each other. Frog is enthusiastic and laid back, while Toad is more cynical and uptight. 

3. Achilles and Patroclus in Homer's  The Iliad
The friendship between these two warriors is one of the highlights of Homer's epic poem.

4. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. 
The different personalities and strengths of character make this a memorable literary relationship.

5. Frodo and Sam in Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. 
Sam is portrayed as both physically and emotionally strong, and sometimes carries Frodo when he is too weak to go on. 

6. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza in Don Quixote by Cervantes. 
This pair of Knight and friendly sidekick are one of the main reasons this novel has enchanted readers for more than four centuries.

7. Frankenstein and his creation in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.  
The world of speculative fiction has seldom seen a duo of this nature in the decades since a young Mary Shelley told her story.

8. Levin and Oblonsky in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina.  
These two characters were my favorites for their humanity and sincerity. Oblonsky and Levin have a relationship that works because Levin has no one else.


9. Lee and Cal in East of Eden by John Steinbeck. 
This is my favorite Steinbeck novel and one of the reasons for this is the relationship between these two characters. Lee is intelligent, thoughtful, well-read, and kind, while Cal takes Lee's advice that each individual has the power to choose between good and evil in life. 


10. The father and his son in The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Of all of McCarthy's novels these two characters demonstrate the best in humanity while facing the most difficult of times in McCarthy's novel of a dystopian future.


13 comments:

Lydia said...

Frog and Mr. Toad are such great friends!

Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

Hopewell said...

East of Eden gave me real world nightmares! Cathy was so evil I couldn't finish it, but a dear friend (the reason I tried to read it) feels it is her favorite novel.
My post; https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2023/09/11/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-character-relationships/

R's Rue said...

Yes to the Anna Karenina pick. Glad to find your blog.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Marian H said...

Ditto 2, 4, and 5! And I am reading East of Eden right now. I've heard great things about Lee, can't wait to meet his character. :)

James said...

Lydia, Thanks for your comment.

James said...

Hopewell, Yes, Cathy is one of the most evil characters in literature, but like your friend I find East of Eden my favorite Steinbeck novel.

James said...

R's Rue, Anna Karenina is my favorite Tolstoy novel. Thanks for your comment.

James said...

Marian, I hope you like the rest of East of Eden. It is my favorite Steinbeck novel. Thanks for your comment.

Susan said...

Frog and Toad are a great choice. So nostalgic!

Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

Stephen said...

Yours is one of the few lists where I actually recognize most of the characters! I've heard that "The Road" is quite dark, but if you've read it I imagine it's worth taking a look at.

James said...

Susan, Thanks for your comment. I looked back into my early reading for that pair, but the nostalgia drew me to them.

James said...

Stephen, The Road is dark, but the friendship between father and son is one of the themes that prevails in a supremely dystopian world.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, I read East of Eden so long ago that I have forgotten alot about it but in thinking of characters in fiction that share a special bond with each other George and Lenny in Of Mice and Men certainly comes to mind. And of course Holmes and Watson and I would include Nero Wolf and Archie in Rex Trout's wonderful series.