Sunday, March 05, 2023

Tomorrow is Another Day

Gone with the Wind


Gone with the Wind 

“I'll think of it tomorrow, at Tara. I can stand it then. Tomorrow, I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day.”   ― Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind




Gone with the Wind is a novel by Margaret Mitchell in which Scarlett O'Hara struggles to maintain her family's plantation, which has fallen into disrepair since Atlanta was burned in the Civil War. Scarlett is crushed when her childhood love marries another woman. Scarlett marries Charles Hamilton, who dies in the Civil War. After the Civil War, Scarlett struggles to support herself. She marries three more times in search of financial stability.

Mitchell's narrative, set against the historical background of the American Civil War is a somewhat engrossing read. I say somewhat because I was not impressed with the central character of Scarlett O'Hara and, although the author was able to introduce many characters and much historical detail, I was not engaged as the novel droned on. The selfishness of the priveleged character of Scarlett was disappointing and deterred me from enjoying some of the colorful detail in this long novel. Her struggles, particularly with Rhett Butler, dimmed as the novel wound onward to its inevitable ending.


2 comments:

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, I read Gone With the Wind many years ago and had a similar reaction. It's a very well written novel but I too didn't bond with the story or Scarlett. I think part of the problem is the author's politics leaned very much toward the confederacy and I think that prevented her from telling a deeper and more realistic story about Scarlett and the Southern culture she came from.

James said...

Hi Kathy, Thanks for your atute observation.I agree the novel was well-written, but the aspect you observed added to the feelings I mentioned.