Sunday, November 06, 2022

Strange Boy

The Wasp Factory
The Wasp Factory 


“Sometimes the thoughts and feelings I had didn't really agree with each other, so I decided I must be lots of different people inside my brain.”
   ― Iain Banks, The Wasp Factory




The novel by Iain Banks, The Wasp Factory tells the story of 16-year-old Frank Cauldhame. He lives on an island (unnamed) off the cost of Scotland with his father, Angus. Frank has no official status. He has no birth certificate and no national insurance card. At the direction of his father, he must tell anyone who asks that he is the nephew of Angus—not the son.

Angus seems to be somewhat concerned and protective of Frank. He always insists on cooking and makes all of Frank's meals. Angus keeps some things from Frank. He has a study that he keeps locked and has cautioned Frank against entering—although Frank tries the door every time his father leaves. What is the secret behind that door? Angus was a scientist before his retirement so Frank assumes that his father is conducting some kind of chemical experiments. Frank has many secrets of his own. He routinely kills and mutilates small animals and uses them in his bizarre rituals.

This is a brilliantly written novel that is inexplicably irresistible. It is also noxious and one of the most horrifying and chilling books that I have ever read. If I had read all of Freud's work I am sure I would still not understand the deep meanings of the images in Iain Banks weird novel. It is the unconventional anti-hero at the center of the novel who narrates the story of obsession and macabre behavior. This is one delinquent whose creepy charm has very limited appeal. His imagination defies description and I can only recommend this book with a warning that it is not for the faint of heart.



2 comments:

CyberKitten said...

Agreed. Totally strange and disturbing but a totally gripping read at the same time. The literary world is much poorer without Iain Banks around.

James said...

CyberKitten,
I read this for a book group and some of my fellow readers couldn't abide by the horrible cruelty. Somehow I managed to get past that into other aspects of the story like Banks' great writing. I've also read a couple of his science fiction novels.