Tuesday, February 09, 2021

Lectures on Proust

The Essential Proustian: The Collected Lectures of Joel Rich
The Essential Proustian: 
The Collected Lectures of Joel Rich 




“Every reader, as he reads, is actually the reader of himself. The writer's work is only a kind of optical instrument he provides the reader so he can discern what he might never have seen in himself without this book. The reader's recognition in himself of what the book says is the proof of the book's truth.”  ― Marcel Proust, Time Regained



These are the thoughts of a Proust enthusiast presented in a series of lectures. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust encompasses the world and this set of lectures presents reasons why. The lectures comprise topics including women, time, sleep, and reading; also ranging into weather, war, animals, and death. I was fortunate to have been present at most of these lectures when the were presented as "First Friday Lectures" presented by the Basic Program of Liberal Education at The University of Chicago

A good example of the content of these lectures as well as a demonstration of the effect reading Proust's work may have on the reader is found in the following quote from Swann's Way, the first book of In Search of Lost Time:

"When I had found , one day, in a book by Bergotte, some joke about an old family servant . . . which was in principle what I had often said to my grandmother about Francoise . . . then it was suddenly revealed to me that my own humble existence and the Realms of Truth were less widely separated than I had supposed, that at certain points they were actually in contact; and in my new-found confidence and joy I wept upon his printed page, as in the arms of a long-lost father."

Joel Rich had a long association with this program leading Basic Program Alumni seminars on Proust as well as presenting these lectures. They provide a great introduction to anyone new to Proust's writing; but they can be enjoyed by those who already have experienced the world of Proust.


7 comments:

mudpuddle said...

i haven't read Proust either... at my age i most likely won't either (77)... i do like the "book as mirror" idea, tho...

Brian Joseph said...

This sounds so interesting. I often find this kind of commentary on literature fascinating. With that,I struggle with the idea that to.e reading something like this is time not reading the literature itself.

reese said...

I can bet it would have been fun to have heard this lecture series--it sounds quite fascinating. In fact the whole program at the University of Chicago sounds great.

Found you via Luciano Duarte.

James said...

@mudpuddle,
Proust's novels are filled with wonderful metaphors, turns of phrases, and glorious characters.

@Brian,
I was fortunate to know Joel Rich personally and read & discuss Proust with him. The experience of listening to & reading his lectures was an enriching experience.

A Super Dilettante said...

Thank you so much for this recommendation. I am going to buy this book. I dedicated one shelf in the library for Proust's novels as well as all the literary criticisms associated with his novel. I suppose that the devotees of Proust continue to find different paths of entry to his novel whether by reading his novels or essays written about him or eating madeleines.

There is one book of criticism on Proust that I keep going back for a better understanding. It's called "The Mind of Proust: A detailed interpretation of A la recherche du temps perdu" by F. C. Green published in 1949 by Cambridge University Press. Professor Green, an expert on French novelists, manners and ideas from the Renaissance to the Revolution, had also written a book on Stendhal.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, I have never read Proust but I have heard great things and a few weeks ago on a podcast somebody quoted some passages Proust wrote about regret and how its not necessarily a bad emotion because without it we can't improve or grow. I was so impressed. It hit home. I don't know what passage of Proust's writings was being quoted in the podcast but I think I would at least like to give Swan's Way a read.

James said...

@Reese,
Thanks for your comment. The Basic Program is excellent and is celebrating its seventy-fifth anniversary this year. Reading Proust is back on the docket as well as a lot of other great books.

@A Super Dilettante,
Thanks for your recommendation of the book by Professor Green. My favorite commentators on Proust are Samuel Beckett with his Proust, and Roger Shattuck's Proust's Way.

@Kathy,
Thanks for your comment about Proust on regret. One of the great aspects of In Search of Lost Time is that, like Shakespeare's plays and poetry, it encompasses all of human emotions and the characters span the breadth of human diversity.