Sunday, October 04, 2020

Personal Notes


 Three Blocks from the Harbor


Today's post will be a little different. While I have sometimes posted comments on ancillary reading activities, this entry will be personal notes from my post as unofficial Bibliophile of the Belmont Harbor neighborhood in Chicago. The pandemic has taken a bit of a toll on my lifestyle, but fortunately I have not succumbed to the Covid virus (or any other virus or disease).  

Reading is certainly a comfort, more than ever, and while it may not be apparent from the quantity of entries on my blog I am reading more than ever. Zooming is another pastime that has become de rigueur for my schedule. Over the course of a month I average at least two zoom sessions per week between book discussions, the Great Connections discussions, my Online Great Books session and a monthly Henderson family get together among my first cousins. 

In the past two months, as the quarantine has eased a bit I have gone out to lunch (outdoors mostly) with friends about once per week. This is done behind the safety of a mask, which I wear everywhere. I have been going to the gym several times per week, again behind the mask and with suitable confirmation that I do not have a fever.

I have been able to get my annual medical checkups completed and received a flu vaccination two weeks ago. As part of the medical checkup I also obtained my first of a two-part shingles regimen. The previous year I had received a pneumonia vaccination. I have not received so many different vaccinations since I was in grade school sixty years ago. 

With the new month I have resumed classes in the Basic Program of Liberal Education at the University of Chicago. This term we are discussing the novel Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Over the past two years I have done the same with Moby-Dick and The Brothers Karamazov. Currently the discussions are held via Zoom, thus adding to my zoomable activities. 

I guess zoom has become one of my most frequently used words in all of its many formats; the proper name Zoom, to zoom, zooming, zoomable, et. al. What a delight to always discover new words whether from the world of technology or from a welcome discovery in my daily reading.

6 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I am glad to hear that you have been healthy. I have been mostly well myself.

Zoom and other modern communication methods are amazing, We are so fortunate to have them. I have done several Zoom meets with my friends.

I tried Blood Meridian about eight years ago. I found it to be a extraordinary but slightly disturbing book.

mudpuddle said...

zoom really does add a dimension, especially in time of plague... i don't use it but Ms. M does quite regularly, for Zen meetings and such... we're not as engaged as you, socially speaking, as we live in the woods with very few neighbors (except deer, chipmunks and birds); the book activities sound satisfying... we leave to shop and bike ride and that's about it; we'll have to do something about flu shots pretty soon, i guess - probably wait until the crowds leave...

James said...

Brian,
Glad to hear that you are also mostly well. Blood Meridian is a very violent book. I had to put it down the first time I tried to read it. Subsequently I have become a fan of Cormac McCarthy and have read most of his novels including Blood Meridian (twice). I am finding that as I reread it yet again I continue to discover new meaning and insights in his narrative.

James said...

Mudpuddle,
I appreciate your comments and your lifestyle. While I live in the heart of a large city, during the pandemic I have gone out only for food and necessities until recently, and I still avoid the busiest times of the day. No need to push my luck with crowds. Reading and music suffice to fill the time while challenging my mind in a way that ensures I'll be able to keep it fit a little longer.

Kathy's Corner said...

Hi James, You are accomplishing alot, taking courses and most important getting your doctor visits in. I too have taken my flu shot. Stalling on my annual check up, not because I am afraid of catching covid at the doctor's office but I am afraid of doctor's visits in general. And so for us hypochondriacs its like a vacation telling ourselves because of covid we can put off going to the doctor. I know that's foolish and dangerous.

On the positive side I recently participated in a Zoom Jane Austen discussion hosted at the Massapequa Library in NY even though I live in FL. So grateful these days for the internet!

James said...

Kathy,
Thanks for your kind words. The Zoom occasions seem to be multiplying these days. Your Jane Austen discussion sounds like an enjoyable one.