Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Joy of Reading
The Joy of Reading

by Charles Van Doren

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot


The title says it all; the book is about the joy a reader experiences when exploring the best works of literature from the time of the Greeks and before until the twentieth century. While this book did not begin my journey through great literature it has enriched it and provided a companion to turn to when I am in need of meditation on the favorites of someone who evinced what is truly the best in literature. Do I agree with all his favorite books? No, but they are all worth considering, exploring, reading for a while to see if I can find some of what he saw in them. Some I have made my own with readings and rereadings and some have been reserved for what I hope will be a properous reading future filled with more joy.


The Joy of Reading by Charles Van Doren. Harmony Books, New York. 1985

View all my reviews

No comments: